I love Mexican food. When I say love, I mean LOVE! We have it at least once a week in a variety of forms; tacos, enchiladas, rice and beans, quesadillas (my son's favorite), etc. I enjoy a good beverage with my Mexican food as well. Anything from a carona, to my husbands awesome homemade mojitos or margaritas (courtesy of the Jimmy Buffett bar book). I promise to share those recipes another time.
That said, I'm always looking to change things up a bit. So a few weeks ago I was perusing Foodgawker.com and found a recipe for these lovely, delicious, and easy Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos.
These will easily be my new recipe of summer. They are FABULOUS, fun to make (my son even helped assemble them) and best of all, the whole family shared my exuberance for them.
So here are the details on what you will need and how to assemble the taquitos.
Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos
total time: 45 minutes Qty: 15 Taquitos
15 flour tortillas
1/3 C (3 oz) cream cheese
1/4 C green salsa
1T fresh lime juice
1/2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t granulated garlic, or garlic powder
3 T chopped cilantro
2 T sliced green onions
2 C shredded cooked chicken
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, optional
nonstick cooking spray
- Heat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray it lightly with cooking spray.
- Heat cream cheese in the microwave for 20-30 seconds so it’s soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and granulated garlic (you could use taco seasoning mix if you don't have all of these ingredients). Stir to combine and then add cilantro, green onions, chicken and pepper jack cheese.
- Wrap 3-4 tortillas at a time in damp paper towels and microwave for 20-30 seconds so they are soft and pliable. If you find your tortillas are cracking when rolled, use damper paper towels and increase the microwave time.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on the lower third of each tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges, and then roll up.
- Place seam-side down on the baking sheet in a single layer. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt on top. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes and then serve with Sour Cream and Salsa Verde. Enjoy!!! - Carla